Thursday, April 26, 2012

Curry Cravings

I grew up in Hawaii, thinking that curry was this gloppy beef dish that looked, smelled and tasted terrible.  Wouldn't eat it for years. I didn't know that Hawaiian style beef curry was worlds apart from Thai curries.  As a teenager I'd go to a Thai place with friends and couldn't seem to branch out from chicken Pad Thai.  It was in my early 20's that someone convinced me to try Mussaman curry, and even before tasting it, as the waiter set it in front of me, I knew I was hooked.  Peanutty sauce, carrots, onions, potatoes and beef all served over steaming rice.
Lately I've been craving curry, but I don't want take out.  I want to see what I can work up with the crock pot, letting the protein (beef or chicken?) marinate overnight and then slow cooking all day. I'm planning on experimenting with it a little this weekend, pics and recipes to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment