Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day...

We cooked.  And ate.  And had some strooonnngggg margaritas courtesy of Leif, my brother in law.  The whole fam went over to my mama's house on Sunday for a cookout in her back yard, and Tom and I ended up manning (taking over?) the grill and kitchen.
 
 Cracked pepper salami, rice crackers, kaukauna cheese and double gloucester with chives.
 Mixed baby potatoes with OO, SP and chopped Rosemary and Thyme.
 Deviled eggs and steaks coming to room temp. 
 Roasted veggie kabobs.  Pretty sure we don't have enough food here...
 My personal favorite, gluten free brown rice couscous with oven roasted veggies and an apple cider vinaigrette.
 I roasted these baby potatoes in the oven and while they were still warm tossed them on top of the spinach so it would wilt/warm a bit.  I made a bacon vinaigrette (not yours Linny!) with a little over a tablespoon of the bacon grease, couple of teaspoons of Dijon mustard, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, SP and then some olive oil to bring it all together.  Whisk it together and drizzle over the potatoes and sprinkle bacon bits over the top of that.  You can leave the salad layered like above or toss it like I did right after this picture was taken.  And that chunk that's missing on the bottom left? My sister is vegetarian and so I tool some out for her before I added the bacon.  I also made her a vinaigrette without the bacon grease in it because I like her.
 Lucas's plate.

This was how we all felt after all that.  I can't help it, my niece Lily was in my arms a lot of the afternoon and I just couldn't stop cooing over her cuteness. The one pic I didn't get was of the margaritas, but I'm hoping Leif and Lindsey did.  This really was the best Mother's Day I can ever remember.  It was easy and relaxed and all about family and just hanging out together.  I was able to be with my mama, help my sister celebrate being a mommy for the first time, I had my baby boy with me (although he was more interested in playing Wii) and my love was there too! Someone once said that he didn't want to be happy, he wanted to be content, and I feel the same way.  On Sunday, the best gift I got was an afternoon of contentment with those I love. And margaritas thrown in for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment